Are you looking for information on How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs? We are no stranger to these little critters, and we are here to help with some tips for getting rid of bed bugs. First, let’s look at some ways to identify bed bugs. Bed bugs are small, brown, and oval shaped. They thrive on the blood of humans and animals. Terrible, right?
Where You Might Find Bed Bugs
Bed bugs will generally enter your home through luggage, clothing or used furniture items like couches, beds, and mattresses. So, be very careful about where you get your furniture from, especially if it is being given away for free. That couch you got on Facebook marketplace for free might just be too good to be true!
We see lots of bed bug infested furniture and mattresses in our industry, and donation centers are cracking down on what furniture items they take. For example, you can no longer donate mattresses in Indiana, due to bed bugs.
Bed bugs have flat bodies, and this makes them expert hiders. The most common places you may find them in your home are mattresses, box springs, headboards, and bed frames.
Here are Some Signs that You Might Have Bed Bugs
- Bed bug skin sheds, eggs shells, or fecal spots.
- Blood stains on your pillows, sheets, or mattress pad.
- A musty smelling odor, which comes from the bed bugs scent glands.
- Bites on skin or itchy areas, especially after sleeping.
Steps for How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
- First, wash bedding, clothing, and curtains in hot water and dry them on the highest setting. Get rid of other items like stuffed animals that can’t be washed.
- Vacuum the area around your bed frequently. Also, schedule a carpet cleaning company to clean carpets.
- Fun fact: bed bugs can live up to a year without feeding. So, our best advice to get rid of your mattress and box spring completely. Remember, you cannot donate bed beg infested items. However, you can dispose of them at a landfill or have a junk removal company take them.
- Clear all the clutter around your bed. Bed bugs can hide in books and magazines too.
- Make sure all bed bugs are gone before you get a new mattress. You can find some bed bug traps and detection kits here.
- Bed bugs infestations are stressful. It may help to hire professionals to help. A pest control company can always help identify bed bugs and help you take steps to remove them. However, we do not suggest spraying insecticides in sleeping areas.
We hope this information on How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs has been helpful. If you are in the Indianapolis or Fort Wayne areas and need bed bug infested furniture or mattresses removed, please do not hesitate to give us call!