15 May 2015
May is Military Appreciation Month and so as a veteran owned small business we wanted to take the time to recognize this event. We think it’s important to take time out of our busy lives to appreciate and honor those who are current and former members of the armed forces, including those who have died in the pursuit of freedom and peace. In order to recognize Military Appreciation Month 2015 we wanted to share 10 different ways to support the military and their families.
10 Ways to Support Military Appreciation Month 2015
1. Display the American flag on your home or business. Here is the proper way to display a flag. If you need to dispose of an old American flag there are certain ways to do that as well that you can read about it. As a member of the American Legion and an owner of a junk hauling company we happily accept and collect old and tattered flags in order to make sure they receive a dignified disposal.
2. Send cards, letters or a care package to a soldier. This website has a collection of resources and organizations to get your started.
3. Hire a veteran to do business with. You can find a list of veteran owned companies in your area here. As mentioned prior, Fire Dawgs is also proud to be a veteran owned business.
4. When you see a person in military uniform shake their hand and thank them for their service.
5. Find and attend local events that are celebrating Military Appreciation Month. In particular, May 16th is Armed Forces day and May 25th is Memorial Day this year.
6. Offer to help a family who has someone active in the military. Cook them a meal, offer babysitting, help with home repairs, invite them over for the holidays, lend an ear.
7. Share on social sites your own appreciation and encourage the media to highlight and recognize local events.
8. Make a donation to a military cause.
9. Share history lessons of military contributions to the younger generation. If you’re a teacher make sure to incorporate these important lessons in your classroom. If able, invite a veteran to come in and share their own story to create a larger impact.
10. If you own a business offer military discounts, include those that are serving and have served. Fire Dawgs is proud to offer a 10% discount on any service for veterans and active service members. Give us a call at 1-800-712-5862 for a free estimate or visit our contact page.
We hope this gave you some ideas on how to support Military Appreciation Month 2015. Of course you don’t need to limit yourself to only the month of May. The military can use your support year round! A big thank you to our troops, a thank you to our veterans, a thank you to the military families and a thank you to anyone that does something to honor our military. God Bless America!