12 December 2019
As you are wrapping gifts this season, you may be wondering: Can you recycle wrapping paper? This is a great question! Especially, if you feel bad when you see all the wrapping and packaging waste on Christmas morning, like we do.
- First, know that wrapping paper with any type of glitter or embellishment can not be recycled. Also, super think wrapping paper cannot be recycled, due to its fibers not being high quality enough to recycle.
- All bows, ribbon, tape, tags, and tissue paper must be removed as these items cannot be recycled.
- Wrapping paper must pass the “scrunch test” to be recycled. What’s the scrunch test? Basically, you must be able to to scrunch it up to be able to recycle it. So, super heavy foil wrapping paper cannot be recycled.
Eco-Friendly Wrapping Paper Options
At this point, you may be thinking: what wrapping paper options are recycle?! We get it. Wrapping paper is very difficult to recycle. Some recycling facilities do not accept wrapping paper at all, so it is always best to call and check. However, here are a few eco-friendly options for wrapping gifts.
- High Quality, Minimally dyed kraft paper wrap can be recycled most of the time. We found this wrapping paper option on Amazon.
- Gift Bags! These are great because they can be reused over and over. Also, be sure to save and reuse tissue paper, as tissue paper is too thin to be recycled. Paper gift bags can be recycled, but you have to remove the handles, ropes, ribbons, and embellishments.
- We found some other Eco-Friendly Gift Wrap Ideas here on ecocult.com.
- Also, be sure to check out our Guide to Christmas Recycling here.
Final Thoughts on Recycling Wrapping Paper
Finally, we hope you found some good ways to reuse and recycle wrapping paper in this post. The best thing to keep in mind when looking for ways to waste less when wrapping is to reuse as much as you can. Definitely reuse ribbon, bows, gift bags, tissue paper and boxes! Also, be sure to seek out recyclable wrapping paper options if you can. Many times, recyclable wrapping paper can be more expensive. So, you can always opt for good old newspaper!
Thank you for your interest in eco-friendly options for gift wrapping. Be sure to comment or Contact Us with any questions!