2 April 2015
Use these 5 tips on how to get rid of junk to help organize the process and clear the clutter. With a little time and elbow grease Fire Dawgs Junk Removal can help you have the home and extra space that you want!
How to Get Rid of Junk
1. Create a schedule. Junk is more overwhelming if you don’t have a place to start. You could break it down by day (kitchen on Monday, closets on Tuesday, etc) or weekly may more manageable. For example, it could be “Week of the Basement” and then do holiday décor on Monday, unused furniture on Tuesday, etc.
2. Categories. Begin with two categories: keep or toss. Once everything is sorted that way then go through each pile again. With the toss pile you can sort that into trash, recycle, donate or sell. Of course when using Fire Dawgs Junk Removal you only need to worry about a basic toss and sell pile because we will pick out the items that can be donated and recycled for you. You’ll even receive a tax receipt! With items you plan to sell make sure you have time within the next week or so otherwise it’s better to just get rid of it!
3. “Keep” Questions. Once you have your initial keep pile, go back through each item and think about why you are keeping it. “Does it have a purpose?” “Have I used this within the last year?” “Is it something cheap I could simply buy again if needed?” Learn to let go. Obviously some sentimental items are invaluable even if you don’t use them so instead create a bin just for those items that way you aren’t wasting time going through them each time you purge.
4. Pinpoint Problems. Once you’re only left with what you want to keep, process why you had extra stuff to begin with. Are you a paper saver? Many things like these can be scanned, tagged and digitally saved in the future. Not only does it remove all the clutter around your home, but it is easier to find a particular item when needed. Have boxes full of craft items? Buy storage bins with labels to keep them organized so you know what’s there and don’t end up absentmindedly buy more. Keep a donate box in your closet and anytime something doesn’t fit or goes out of style, throw it in the box. Once the box is full, off to a donation center it goes.
5. Maintain. Congrats, you now have a junk free home! Now how to keep it that way? Junk attracts more junk so keep dumping grounds at bay. Anything you bring into your home must have a reason and a place. Every evening spend 10 minutes tidying up. The more you concentrate on keeping spaces clear and clean the better you will become at maintaining a junk free home.
Hopefully you now feel better prepared as to how to get rid of junk. As always, feel free to contact us with any questions at 1-800-712-JUNK (5865). Be sure to check out our other service companies at Dawg Services.