The average American throws away about 185 pounds of plastic a year, and we only recycle about 5% of the plastics we use. Have you heard of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch? Here is a description from Eco Watch.com, “The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is located in the North Pacific Gyre off the coast of California and is the largest ocean garbage site in the world. This floating mass of plastic is twice the size of Texas, with plastic pieces outnumbering sea life six to one.” At Fire Dawgs, we are committed to recycling, reusing, and donating the unwanted items we haul away from our customers. We also want to help keep as much out of landfills as we can. Please help us in reducing pollution and protecting our water sources by following these tips for how to reduce plastic waste.
Tips for How to Reduce Plastic Waste
1. Bring your own reusable, cloth bags to the grocery store.
2. Store all of your food in glass containers. Glass is always the safer choice. You can also reheat your leftovers safely in glass.
3. Don’t use plastic beverage bottles. Glass is always better. It is safely reusable and easier to recycle than plastic. Additionally, researchers are finding that the label “BPA” may be meaningless. Read more here: “Why BPA Free May Be Meaningless” from Time magazine.
4. Buy in bulk! Buying in bulk help save money and reduces that amount of packaging used for your products.
5. Buy milk in paper cartons, as opposed to plastic bottles.
6. If you can, stop using plastic drinking straws. These items are used just once and thrown away. They are rarely recycled.
7. For kids, use stainless steel sippy cups. These cups are safer to use than plastic cups anyway!
8. For you, use stainless steel, glass, or ceramic drinking bottles and glasses. Once again, these are much safer choices than plastic.
9. Bring a reusable mug when you order your coffee. Some places will give you discount for doing so! Its a win-win-win you save money, the cafe saves money (keeping cost and prices down), and there are fewer cups and lids polluting our earth and waterways!
10. Upcycle! -This is one of our favorites. Think of new uses for old items, instead of discarding them! For ideas on how to repurpose items into Farm House decor, click here.
11. Try to repair before you replace. Especially for large items like appliances. We have found that most of the time, these items can be repaired.
12. When buying items like yogurt at the grocery store, buy a larger tub instead of individual plastic cups.
13. Avoid using disposable tableware. Washable, reusable dinnerware is always the cuter (and cheaper) choice! If you can’t avoid using disposable dinnerware, opt for the compostable type.
14. Please, please don’t just discard electronics. You can always have older models repaired or upgraded. You can also call Fire Dawgs for electronics and TV recycling. We can pick up your items and recycle them on your behalf.
15. If you must use plastic, please recycle! It takes between 500-1,000 years for plastic to degrade. Click Here for places to recycle in Indianapolis.
We hope we’ve give you some good (and easy) ideas for How to Reduce Plastic Waste. Please share this post to help us keep plastic out of our landfills, soil, and water!