24 May 2017
Here is a question we get asked all the time: Do Junk Removal Companies Take Paint? The short answer to this great question is: yes, if the paint is dried out. We will share ways to dry out paint for proper disposal below. To add to our answer: junk removal companies take paint, just not wet paint.
We can’t take wet paint for a few reasons, and here they are!
1. Some landfills do not accept wet paint. Paint is considered to be a Household Hazardous Waste (HHW).
2. We don’t feel like dumping wet paint into the environment is safe, and safety is our number one priority.
3. There have been instances where wet paint spills out into the back of junk removal trucks and onto the road, and that’s not good either.
Drying out wet paint is actually pretty easy, and we have some tips to share on how to do it. Here they are!
How to Dry Wet Paint
- Pop The Top: Just plan ahead, and remove the top of the paint can to let it dry. Make sure the area is well-ventilated (preferably outside) and away from pets and children.
- Kitty Litter: This is definitely a faster method to dry paint. Open the paint can, and stir in kitty litter. You can also use another absorbent material like sawdust or leftover concrete mix.
Indiana Regulations on the Disposal of Paint
Paint and paint related products (thinners, primers, stains etc.) are considered to be Household Hazardous Waste, and they need to disposed of properly. Improper disposal of paint and other HHWs includes pouring them down the drain, on the ground, or into storm sewers. According to the Indiana Department of Environmental Management website, putting HHWs out with the trash can also be considered improper disposal.
A Little More on: Do Junk Removal Companies Take Paint?
Check out this post: How to Dispose of Paint for tips and resources that will help you properly dispose of your paint. You can also call Fire Dawgs Junk Removal, and we would be happy to dispose of your dried out paint. We hope we’ve helped answer: Do Junk Removal Companies Take Paint? Let us know if you have any other questions. We are always happy to help!