Below you will find a list of DIY options to get your listings decluttered and looking great! Please feel free to comment below with your best decluttering tricks.
FREE Decluttering Resources for Indianapolis Realtors
This is our #1 donation partner at Fire Dawgs Junk Removal. If you are able to transport the items, Goodwill takes care of the rest and will furnish a tax deductible receipt. There are items they will not take, in our experience, so to save you the trip I will mention a few here:
- Mattresses (Why? Bed Bug Fears)
- Sofas and Couches with a Pull Out Sleeper (Why? Mattress Bed Bug Fears)
- Soiled or Overly Seasoned Couches (Why? We assume because of resale value)
- Older TV’s – This one is dependent upon the TV. Flatscreens more than likely, but older/boxier style TV’s like projection style, or the ones built into solid wood, are hard for them to sell nowadays. When they don’t sell, Goodwill has to dispose of them. This runs them into the same challenge we have at Fire Dawgs Junk Removal. There are recycling laws that require TV’s to be recycled due to the lead contaminants in the screens. These recycling centers charge a hefty fee to get rid of them dependent upon the size of the TV. Transfer stations and Landfills have to recycle them as well, so they also charge the extra fee for TV’s. More on e-waste recycling laws can be found here!
Be sure to visit the Goodwill Indy website for a full list of items they can’t accept.
This is a good resource and outlet if you have a garage full of items that can be used in a home remodel. Here, you will want to think of items like:
- Old boxes of laminate flooring or boxes of tile
- Unopened drywall plaster
- Old Doors
- Light Fixtures
Basically, anything that could be reused when remodeling a home. Not everything you donate will be used in a new Habitat build, a majority of it will be resold in their stores for homes being remodeled so the items don’t have to be new
Salvation Army, St. Vincent de Paul and other mission based organizations will also take donations but the above have the largest infrastructure and therefore are able to take the most on a per trip basis. This is helpful so it limits that amount of trips you have to take and thereby saves you valuable time.
Hazardous Materials and Tox Drop
Indy.gov has a page titled: Hazardous Waste Dropoff Sites. This lists all the locations and their open times for you to drop off hazardous materials. Why are you concerned with HazMat? Think the garage and basement of your homes and the collection of chemicals, cleaners and fuels that families acquire over time. Perhaps even more relevant, think of the gallons of paint, stain and mineral spirits! These are all items that your local trash company cannot take, nor junk removal companies like ours.
From the website: You can dispose of 20 gallons of liquid waste or 75 pounds of solid waste per visit. Transport it in plastic crates, cardboard boxes, storage bins, or in other containers that are easy to see through and access. Waste brought in trash bags may not be accepted.
Paid Resources For Junk Removal in Indianapolis
- RockHampton Transfer Station
5350 Rock Hampton, Indianapolis IN
- Ray’s Transfer Station in Whitestown
- 6251 S Indianapolis Rd, Whitestown, IN
- South Side Landfill on Kentucky Avenue
2561 Kentucky Avenue, Indianapolis IN
These are all good locations to take you trash that cannot be donated or recycled. They do charge per ton, or based on volume. The price ends up being close to the same regardless of if they charge you by tonnage or volume most of the times, but there are exceptions. There are other locations but we have found these to be the most economical.
1103 West Troy Avenue, Indianapolis IN
This is the best resource if you are taking Organic Waste. Think about your big pile of brush that can be chopped up and turned into mulch. They do charge, but less than the disposal facilities, and they do have restrictions on what they’ll take so check first.
Fire Dawgs Junk Removal
Finally, if you are looking to have the decluttering taken care of for you, Fire Dawgs is here to help! Just give us a call at 317-291-3294. Or, Contact Us online anytime for a free estimate. This is a paid option, but we do offer free estimates at your convenience. We have special referral benefits for Indianapolis area realtors!
We hope this list of Decluttering Resources for Indianapolis Realtors has been helpful!