Whether you are considering building a new wooden deck or you already have one, you may be wondering: How Long Do Wooden Decks Last? The broad, simple answer to this question is 10-30 years, depending on the type of wood you use. Treated lumber will last longer than non-treated lumber. However, wood, no matter how well you treat it, is susceptible to rotting and warping over time. No wooden deck is going to last forever, but let’s take a look at some ways to make your deck last longer.
How to Make Your Wooden Deck Last Longer
- Use Quality Lumber: Cedar and Mahogany are great choices. Many people choose to go with pressure-treated lumber as well. However, pressure-treated lumber does tend to warp and change shape over time. Look for lumber with as few defects as possible.
- Sweep it!: Sweep leaves and debris from your wooden deck regularly.
- Clean it as much as possible: You can have it professionally cleaned by an Exterior Cleaning Company, or you can find deck cleaner at local hardware store.
- Seal it Annually: Sealing your deck every year is one of the most important things you can do to maintain it and increase its longevity.
- Keep Trees and Foliage Trimmed!: Trim nearby trees and bushes to at least 12 inches from the wooden deck to discourage mold, moss, algae, and rot!
What to Do with an Old Deck?
Again, if a deck is probably maintained, it can last for over 30 years. However, wood doesn’t last forever. So, what do you do with an old wooden deck? You can try to replace some boards to see if you can get some more life out of it. Or, you can remove it yourself or call in professionals to remove it for you. At Fire Dawgs Junk Removal, we demo and haul away old decks on a weekly, often daily basis.
If you DIY your deck demo, the process could take days or weeks, and you have to figure out the disposal of the old decking materials. If you hire a company like Fire Dawgs to handle your demo, it can be done in a day and the materials hauled away immediately, so you can move on with building a new outdoor space to enjoy!
We hope we’ve answered: How Long Do Wooden Decks Last? and give you some good ways to make your deck last even longer! If you would like a free deck demo quote, just give the team at Fire Dawgs a call at 317-291-3294. Or, you can contact us online for a free deck removal quote anytime. We are always here when you need us!