Why should you get rid of your expired medicine?
How to Properly Dispose of Your Expired Medicine?
There are a few safe ways to safely dispose of your expired medicine:
1.) Throwing it out in yourself: To safely dispose of your medicine at home, place your medication into plastic bag. Then, fill the bag with unpalpable substances (dirt, kitty litter, coffee grains) and mix the items together until the medicine is coated with substance. Then you can dispose the bag into your trash. This prevents anyone from being able to consume or resell you pills.
Additionally, when disposing of your prescription bottles, make sure to cross of all information pertaining to your identity. This includes: name, doctor’s name, address, Rx number, etc…
You should never dispose of your expired medicine by flushing them down your toilet, unless the label or accompanying patient information expressly directs you to do so.
2.) Calling disposal service: If you aren’t sure that you will be able to safely dispose of your expired medicine at home with the methods listed above, then you can call a biohazard disposal service to safely pick-up your medicine. Additionally, you can also call your county’s solid waste management district and ask if a drug take-back program is available in your community.
3.) Dropping off medicine at disposal site: If you’re not able to safely dispose of your expired medicine yourself and your community lacks the resources to pick-up your medicine, then the best option for you is to dispose of your medicine at drop off site. Not sure where the closest drop off site is near you? Check our list below to find out!
Drop off Locations in Indianapolis
There are numerous locations around Indianapolis that are open permanently for expired medicine disposal:
- Beach Grove Police Department – 340 Churchman Ave Beach Grove, IN 46107
- Community Medical Center Pharmacy – 5506 E 16th St. Indianapolis, IN 46218
- CVS Pharmacy – 5611 Georgetown Rd., Indianapolis, IN 46254
- CVS Pharmacy- 3705 Kentucky Ave Indianapolis, IN 46221
- CVS Pharmacy – 1375 West 86th St., Indianapolis, IN 46260
- CVS Pharmacy – 1545 North Meridian St. Indianapolis, IN 46202
- CVS Pharmacy – 8935 East 21st Street Indianapolis, IN 46219
- Eskenazi Health Cottage Corner Pharmacy – 1434 S Shelby St., Indianapolis, IN 46203
- Eskenazi Health Forest Manor Pharmacy – 3840 N Sherman Dr., Indianapolis, IN 46202
- Eskenazi Health Midtown Pharmacy – 1700 N Illinois St., Indianapolis, IN 46202
- Eskenazi Health North Arlington Pharmacy – 2505 N Arlington Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46219
- Eskenazi Health Outpatient Care Center Pharmacy – 720 Eskenazi Ave Indianapolis, IN 46202
- Eskenazi Health Westside Pharmacy – 2732 W Michigan St., Indianapolis, IN 46222
- Marion County Sheriff’s Department – 40 S Alabama St., Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Speedway Police Department – 1410 N Lynhurst Dr. Speedway, IN 46224
- Walgreens Pharmacy – 3545 W. 86th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46268
- Walgreens Pharmacy – 8905 E. 10th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46219
For a full list of permanent drop off locations throughout Indiana, click here.
Is Fire Dawgs a Drop Off Location for Expired Medicine?
No. Fire Dawgs Junk Removal is not a drop off location for expired medicine or any other unwanted items at any of our locations. Nor do we come to your home or office to pick-up expired medicine.