Believe it or not, there are items charities do not accept. We definitely can’t speak for every charitable organization, but we have a comprised a list of items that charities and donations centers usually can’t take. We think the items found on this list are here for good reasons. Moreover, we think you’ll even be surprised by some! So, here are items that charitable organizations usually can’t accept.
A List of Items Charities Do Not Accept …Usually
- Mattresses: We are listing mattresses and boxsprings first, because we get asked about them a lot. Charitable organizations in Indiana generally do not accept mattresses. This is mainly because of bedbugs. More on this topic here: Donate Mattresses in Indianapolis.
- Cribs: There are so many safety issues with charitable organizations taking cribs, so most of them just don’t.
- Household Hazardous Waste: Or what us in the biz call, HHW. HHWs include paint, paint thinners, pesticides, household cleaners, and other chemical products. These are items charities do not accept. These chemicals need to be taken to a Tox Drop location, or any other disposal facility found here.
- Carpet and Carpet Padding: We donate a lot of items for our customers. However, charities generally do not accept used carpet and carpet padding.
- Automotive Hazardous Waste: These items include (but are not limited to) the following: tires, gasoline, batteries, anti-freeze, and oil.
- Personal Care Items: These include shampoo, conditioner, hairsprays, makeup, shaving cream, curling irons etc.
- Weapons: No guns, bows and arrows, ammunition, hunting knifes etc.
What to do If You Have Questions About Items Charities Do Not Accept
Finally, if you have items you want to donate but aren’t sure about them, just call the organization ahead of time. At Fire Dawgs, we donate to local charities all the time, and have a pretty good understanding of what they take. We are always happy to explain these Items Charities Do Not Accept. If you have any questions, please call us at 317-291-3294. Or, Contact Us online any time. We are always happy to help!