Is your garage currently full of junk? Now is the time to organize your garage before winter! There are many reasons to clean your garage before winter. However, the most important reasons is to keep your vehicle protected from ice, snow, and freezing temperatures. Parking your vehicle in the garage saves you time and hassle during the winter months. Keep reading for our top garage cleaning tips.
Tips for How to Organize Your Garage Before Winter
Now is your last chance to clean your garage before winter. As you know, midwestern winters can be harsh and garages can get out of control. This is because we are less likely to clean and organize our garages when it is cold. Furthermore, the hustle and bustle of the holiday season can lead to mounting piles of boxes and general clutter. So, our first tip is to start organizing before it gets too cold.
How to Organize Your Garage Before Winter
- Start Before It Gets Too Cold: Cleaning your garage when it is still warm is always best. Warmer weather will allow to open up the doors, and it will give you the space to create piles and organize. Furthermore, you’ll be able to take your time and get the job done right before winter comes.
- Start Sorting: We suggest sorting your clutter in to 3 main groups:
- Responsible Removal: Now, what do you do with all the stuff in the piles? You can definitely take the items in the donate pile to your favorite local charity. You can dispose of the unusable items. However, be aware that anything with a cord or electronic components should not be thrown in the trash. They need to be recycled responsibly. You can research where to recycle TVs and other e-waste. Also, you can hire a junk removal company like Fire Dawgs to dispose of the junk properly and donate the other unwanted items for you.
- Handle Hazardous Waste: Household hazardous waste products are generally stored in garages and basements. So, what do you do with the ones that you don’t need anymore? Great question! Paint is probably your biggest concern. For paint, you can remove the top and let it dry out. After it is dry, you can place it in the trash. You cannot put wet paint in the trash. Other hazardous waste products like motor oil and cleaning supplies can be taken to your local t0x dump or tox away days, if you live in Indianapolis. Learn more about how to dispose of paint here.
- Storage Solutions: Storage solutions add value to your garage. Installing shelves or using overhead storage allows you better organize the items in your “keep” pile.
- Find Help if You Need It: Companies like Fire Dawgs can take care of the donating, recycling, and disposal for you. This is especially helpful if you are on a time crunch or have lots of items to donate. Furthermore, our customers call us when they don’t know what to do with old TVs, exercise equipment, appliances, pool tables, etc. We can sort all of that out and take it to the right places. And the dump is definitely not the right place for all your junk. We will even send you a tax deductible receipt if we donate items on your behalf!
- Park Your Vehicle: Finally, park your vehicle in the garage! Actually parking your vehicle in the garage will help you keep it clean.
We hope we were able to share some helpful tips for how to organize your garage before winter! Feel free to comment below with your own garage cleaning tips!
Schedule Fire Dawgs for Garage Cleaning in Indianapolis
Finally, call the professionals at Fire Dawgs for a free garage cleaning estimate if you are in Indianapolis. You can give us a call at 317-291-3294. Or, you can Contact Us online anytime.